Sonata-Sonatina Festival - WILL be held this year 11/6/2022
- DATE AND LOCATION: SUNDAY NOVEMBER 6TH, 2022 at Harper College, Music Instruction Building (formerly known as building P).
- REGISTRATION: Jerry Dolins will send electronic entry forms to everyone via email to enroll students for the Festival. All you must do to enroll your students is open the form, fill it in on your computer and send it back via email. Please do not convert to a pdf format. If you have problems doing this, please call Jerry at 847-215-2262 and he will assist you. Please do not print and "snail-mail" the electronic form. Completed electronic entry forms via email are the only way to enroll students.
- DEADLINE: Completed online entries must be emailed to Jerry Dolins at firstname.lastname@example.org by 10/6/2022. No mail-in entries will be accepted.
- REPERTOIRE: For Sonatinas and Sonatas listed as Level 7 or below in the Achievement in Music (A.I.M.) syllabus, choose one of the following options: 1. two contrasting movements 2. a complete two-movement piece without contrast or two complete one-movement pieces. For Sonatinas and Sonatas listed as Level 8 or above in A.I.M.: one movement may be entered unless otherwise noted in A.I.M. (i.e., the Sonatas requiring two movements for A.I.M. will require two movements for this Festival.) A list of suggested repertoire.is included with the electronic entry form.
- WARM-UP: A scale and cadence are allowed for warm-up.
- REQUIREMENTS: All compositions must be performed from memory without repeats. A copy of the same edition the student uses must be provided to the judges, with every measure numbered and the student's code number written on the music. No photocopies are permitted. Judges will have the authority to stop an entrant before the end of the composition. If a movement is not memorized, a ribbon only will be awarded. Judges may deduct points for inappropriate attire/poor presentation (i.e. jeans, sweatshirts, beach sandals, etc.)
- FEES: A non-refundable $25.00 fee (please note the new fee amount) will be charged for each student of an NWSMTA member. A non-refundable $30.00 fee will be charged for each student of an MTNA member who is not also an NWSMTA member, who may enter no more than 3 students. A non-refundable $50 fee will be charged for each student of a non-MTNA member, who may enter no more than 3 students. (Please note: in order to become a member of NWSMTA, you must first join MTNA.). Please make checks payable to NWSMTA. Mail the fee to: Jerry Dolins, 230 Pauline Avenue, Buffalo Grove, IL 60089. Fees must be received by 10/15/2022. Please send ONLY ONE personal check to cover the registration for all your students.
- JUDGING: The committee will select qualified judges. Please note: No audio or video recording of performances will be allowed. AWARDS: All entrants will receive award ribbons for participating. In addition to ribbons, medals will be awarded for the following scores: 96 - 100 = Gold 90 - 95 = Silver 85 - 89 = Bronze.
- OBSERVING PERFORMANCES: Teachers and one or two parents may observe the performances, provided they sit quietly and do not talk to the students or judges, and do not take photos or videos. However, if a room is too small to permit observers, only the teacher will be allowed into the room. This decision will be left up to the discretion of the committee chairman.
- VERY IMPORTANT: EVERY TEACHER ENTERING STUDENTS IS EXPECTED TO WORK TWO HOURS ON THE DAY OF THE FESTIVAL. If you are unable to work 2 hours, you will be expected to find someone to replace you without exception. Parents of students or older students may substitute for the teacher but will still be required to work the full 2 hour period. If you have a large amount of students playing and would like to listen to their performances, PLEASE DO NOT VOLUNTEER TO WORK DURING THE TIME THAT THE MAJORITY OF THEM ARE PLAYING. Last year this was the case for a few teachers, and as a result they could not fulfill their work assignment. FLOATERS NEED TO FIND THE COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN (MICHELLE RYDER-SMITH) AND REPORT TO HER AT THE BEGINNING OF THEIR SHIFT TO GET THEIR ASSIGNMENT. The job of the floaters or chairman is only to substitute for short periods of time and not for the bulk of your shift. Names of the substitutes should be included on the entry form. We would like to suggest appropriate attire for the students, teachers, and any workers. No jeans or sweatshirts, please. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT ALL TEACHERS OR SUBSTITUTES COME ON TIME FOR THEIR SCHEDULED SHIFT TO KEEP THE FESTIVAL RUNNING SMOOTHLY.
- OBTAINING SCORE SHEETS: Teachers have several options available to pick up their score sheets and the medals. Option 1 is to pick up your score sheets and medals at the end of the Sonata-Sonatina Festival day at Harper College, or ask another teacher or student's parent to pick them up. Option 2 - Pick up your score sheets and medals or ask someone to pick them up at the first NWSMTA meeting after the Festival. Option 3 - Pick up score sheets and medals at Michelle Ryder-Smith's house, 610 Nordic Court, Libertyville, IL 60048 after the festival. Call Michelle Ryder-Smith at 847 902-6465 to schedule a pickup.
- Please note this year we will not be mailing the score sheets and medals out.
GOLD MEDAL RECITAL
DATE AND LOCATION: Sunday, November 13th at the Countryside Unitarian Universalist Church in Palatine. Recital times are tentatively scheduled for 1:30 - 2:45 pm and 3:00 - 4:30 pm.
HOW TO ENROLL FOR THE RECITAL: Teachers only may enroll their eligible students by telephoning Justyna Weirich at (847) 322-4393 through 3 p.m. Wednesday, November 9, 2022. No entries after this time will be accepted.
RECITAL RULES: Only one movement will be allowed to be performed. If a student performed a two-movement Sonatina for the Festival, it will be necessary for students/teachers to determine which of the two movements of their Festival Sonatina will be performed in order to comply with this rule. Teachers will need to provide this information at the time of enrollment. Students are required to wear proper attire for their Gold Medal Performances. This means: No Jeans, Shorts, T-shirts or Beach Sandals. Teachers, please remind your parents that any videotaping of their children is allowed, but only from the back or the sides of the room where there will be no distraction. Videotaping or photography from the stage or front of the stage will not be allowed.
ELIGIBILITY Students who have earned Gold Medal Scores at the 2022 Sonata-Sonatina Festival are eligible to participate. Teachers are responsible for learning which of their students have earned Gold Medals. This may be done most easily by obtaining the contents of your Teacher’s Folder at the conclusion of the Sonata-Sonatina Festival. If you are unable to do so you may ask another teacher or the parent of one of your students to do this for you. It is also expected that an email will be sent to the Teachers of eligible students the evening of Sunday, Nov 6, after the Festival. As a last resort, you may telephone Justyna Weirich at (847) 322-4393 the Monday after the Festival to learn which of your students are eligible.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Only students officially registered for the recital will be allowed to perform.
NOTIFICATION OF PERFORMANCE TIME: Teachers will be notified by telephone to verify when their Gold Medal students are scheduled to perform.
If teachers have any questions or concerns regarding the Sonata-Sonatina Festival that are not answered here, please contact Michelle Ryder-Smith at 847-902-6465 or at email@example.com